Wedding Father and Daughter Songs for Second Dance
A father and daughter dance is a very special moment at your wedding. It is a chance for a proud daddy to have a dance with the daughter he loves so much and for her to thank him for being an incredible dad.
It is traditional for the daughter and father dance to be the second song of the evening – although you can ask your wedding DJ to play this song whenever you like during the night. If your dad is no longer with you then you could choose a song that you and your mum could dance to instead.
The song that you choose for your father daughter song should be a personal song about your relationship with your dad. Every bride has a different relationship with their father that is completely special and unique and a song that works for one bride may not work for another. The most successful father and daughter dances have songs with lyrics that reflect the relationship that a bride has with her father.
Even though I am going to list lots of ideas for father daughter dance songs below, my biggest piece of advice would be to take my advice and the advice of wedding magazines, online forums, wedding experts and other brides with a pinch of salt. The song that you choose for your daughter and dad dance should be a song that is special to you and your father. It doesn’t matter if it is a song that is played at thousands of weddings or if it is a rare album track that only you and your dad know…the most important thing is that when you hear the song it reminds you of your dad.
You could also consider choosing a song that your dad likes and it can be really nice to spend an evening with your dad an involve him in your father and daughter dance choice. Perhaps one of the musicians or bands that he enjoys listening to sings a song that describes how he sees his relationship with you? You never know, he may even surprise you and introduce you to the perfect father and daughter song.
A Selection of Father and Daughter Second Dance Songs
1) Because You Loved Me – Celine Dion
2) Brown Eyed Girl – Van Morrison
3) Butterfly Kisses – Bob Carlisle (a Christian song)
4) Daddy – Beyonce
5) Dance With My Father Again – Luther Vandross
6) Father and Daughter – Paul Simon
7) Footprints in the Sand – Leona Lewis
8) Forever Young – Bob Dylan
9) Have I Told You Lately – Rod Stewart
10) Hero – Mariah Carey
11) I Loved Her First – Heartland
12) Isn’t She Lovely – Stevie Wonder
13) Kooks – David Bowie
14) My Girl – The Temptations
15) My Hero – Paramore (originally by the Foo Fighters)
16) Sweet Child of Mine – Taken by Trees (originally by Guns and Roses)
17) Sweet Pea – Amos Lee
18) Thank You for Loving Me – Bon Jovi
19) The Way You Look Tonight – Frank Sinatra
20) Through The Years – Kenny Rogers
21) Unforgettable – Natalie Cole
22) What a Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong
23) When You Need Me – Bruce Springsteen
24) Wonderful World – Louis Armstrong
25) You Are the Sunshine of My Life – Stevie Wonder
26) You’ve Got a Friend in Me – Randy Newman